 Local / Australia / 9355
9354  |  9356
Subject:
Lego Posting and Australian Fans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:44:36 GMT

We've just had news that now LEGO can post wherever they like. Cool, perhaps.

IIRC as a group we can change our charter and whatnot to allow/disallow
certain types of post. (E.g. permitting auction announcements or sales
announcements from Australian sellers, etc.) Pull me up quick if I'm wrong here.

Anyways, I want to throw out a really big idea.

No LEGO posting in loc.au.

Before there are any knee jerk reactions, lets have some reasoning.

Most of the posting is going to come from Lego Direct, An american based
company. Such announcments will mostly be "LOOK, NEW Product!" and will be
cross-posted to buggery. We have LD/S@H service, so they won't be trumpeting
that, and the chances of an "AUSTRALIAN EXCLUSIVE" are, well, zero.

Of course there will be exceptions to the above, but if something big
happens to Australia, surely it's .general news? (I'm not being
national-egotistical, just there are lots of international people interested
in Australian goings on).

I could probably be accused of 'no man is an island' but, let's face it, we
are. I'd love to see AUSTRALIAN LEGO employees posting, (probably posting
one of those Australian exclusives) but they have enough to do already, or
could get around to answering their snail-mail first.

If someone can marshall some good things that we may hear from LD/LEGO,
important stuff that might be specifically Australian, excellent, I'd love
to hear it, and be happy for LEGO to post. Otherwise, I think it's just
going to be a whole lot of pointless noise, bells and  whistles that we
can't access (yet, if ever) or can get pending $90 shipping and handling.

James (who isn't being grumpy, just trying to see the shiny side of the thing)