 Local / Australia / 9056
Re: Greetings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:54:23 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Bennett writes:
On Lugnet we spread ourselves among the themes we are interested in,
occasionally cross-posting to loc.uk too (unlike the Australians who seem
always to cross-post which explains the huge traffic in loc.au).  I'm not
sure about outside Lugnet.

Mmmmm.  I have noticed that we (Australians) tend more to keep to ourselves
rather than fan out into the theme groups.  Even those of us that start out
mainly in theme groups tend to end up back chiefly in loc.au

I guess a consequence would be a bit more cross posting perhaps, as those
more wide ranging of us bring other threads into the loc.au milieu.

But the cause of it is a far more interesting question.

We seem to get into disproportionately more trouble offending those of
gentler natures with our gregarious and boisterous behaviour, not to mention
our language which is apparently considered coarse bordering on offensive by
many of our erstwhile friends.

There is also a hearty national predisposition to simply fail to participate
if the outcomes are not auspicious ('Well, this party is no fun, I'm off to
the next one.  See you there...')

In a similar vein, we have a rather low tolerance when it comes to self
important folk, niggly administrative overlords, and religious zealots (and
there's a few of those bouncing around the theme groups - so I'm told :-)
We do get them in loc.au from time to time - but never for long ;-)

And in top of all that, for anyone planning on trading or face to face
fests, there's just not much point going outside loc.au - you're all so
depressingly far away (which is not to say its impossible, just way harder)

See!  That's what happens when you press the 'What has Richard been
background musing about over the last week' button.

In any event, visitors (apart from the surly types detailed above) are
always welcome in loc.au.  Please feel free to drop by...

:-)

Richard
Still baldly going...