 Local / United Kingdom / 8290
Re: Greetings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:59:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Kerry Raymond writes:

In .loc.uk it was said ...

On Lugnet we spread ourselves among the themes we are interested in,
occasionally cross-posting to loc.uk too (unlike the Australians who seem
always to cross-post which explains the huge traffic in loc.au).

I must say I was a bit surprised by the assertion that we Aussies have some
unusual cross-posting fetish.

So, research was called for ...

For messages posted in June 2002 in .loc.au I found that:

91 were exclusively in .loc.au
3 were cross-posted but only to other Australians groups (e.g. .org.au)
11 were cross-posted to other LUGnet groups

For messages posted in June 2002 in .loc.uk I found that:

55 were exclusively in .loc.uk
0 were cross-posted to other UK groups (or so it appeared to me)
13 were cross-posted to other LUGnet groups

While this is a somewhat rough-and-ready experiment, it does seem to suggest
that Australians are not "always" cross-posting, and that the huge levels of
Australian traffic reflect the fact that we genuinely have more to say to one
another. But being good sports, we are happy to come over and do our bit for
Blighty in .loc.uk if you need us!

Kerry, who couldn't resist a cross-posting on this particular occasion

Er.  That proves that impressions can be misleading, perhaps that things
have changed since I noticed (thought I noticed) it, and certainly that I
should make sure, before I say something, that my foot is nowhere near my mouth.

So, I offer a complete retraction of my erroneous and misjudged comment and
agree that, as we all know, Australians have a lot to say!