 Local / Australia / 8262
Re: How many pinks are there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:16:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

*or* take
one of the 1x1 round plates and put in on a stud on one of the town seats. • With
either combo, you can see more clearly the subtle difference in shades when • the
parts are in direct contact.

This is what I did. I took a number of pieces off the HP sets (which are
currently cluttering up my dining room table) and took them together to compare
them on top of one another. And I agree that at some angles the Scala plates do
seem a little lighter, but at other angles they seem the same. Hard to call.

I just repeated the experiment with the dark pink 1x4 arch on the 2870 Paradisa
BBQ set. While the HP seats and witches hat appear to be the same colour as the
arch, I would have to agree that the Scala plate keeps showing up a little bit
lighter. The difference is more noticeable in this comparison.

However, is the difference enough to call it another colour? Or is it just a
natural variation within a colour? That is, did Lego intend it to be the same
colour or not?

My theory goes something like this...  There is very little that happens with
Lego parts that TLC did not do intentionally. The flipped staircases notches may
be one of the very few that I can recall. It is possible that the parts were
made at different times in the same factory using different batches of ABS, but
I tend to think that TLC keeps very close tabs on the ABS quality. It is also
possible that one of the parts (i.e. the 1x1 scala round plates) might actually
be a bit older, soemthing that TLC had a surplus of and just used them here, but
that seems quite remote. In any case, these are the only part that I have here
that have that peculiar shade of DkPink. I wish someone with one of the NCc
colored pieces (baseplate color chart) could compare to see if that might be the
answer.

Of course, I don't know if all of these sets came out of the same factory or
not. Mine came from S@H Europe (which supplies Australia) while I presume Ray's
came from the USA.

My impression is that Enfield CT is no longer molding parts. This came up a
while back and was discussed here ...

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=208

All the parts are being made in Denmark, Switzerland and the Czech Republic
(the new facility). Enfield may be packaging sets, but the raw parts are coming
across the ocean.

Of course, if this is a new special rare shade of pink,  maybe these little
Scala plates will be worth fantastic amounts on ebay in years to come? (I live
in hope!)

LOL, one can always hope ;)

Ray