 Local / Australia / 8258
Re: How many pinks are there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 05:31:45 GMT

*or* take
one of the 1x1 round plates and put in on a stud on one of the town seats. • With
either combo, you can see more clearly the subtle difference in shades when • the
parts are in direct contact.

This is what I did. I took a number of pieces off the HP sets (which are
currently cluttering up my dining room table) and took them together to compare
them on top of one another. And I agree that at some angles the Scala plates do
seem a little lighter, but at other angles they seem the same. Hard to call.

I just repeated the experiment with the dark pink 1x4 arch on the 2870 Paradisa
BBQ set. While the HP seats and witches hat appear to be the same colour as the
arch, I would have to agree that the Scala plate keeps showing up a little bit
lighter. The difference is more noticeable in this comparison.

However, is the difference enough to call it another colour? Or is it just a
natural variation within a colour? That is, did Lego intend it to be the same
colour or not?

Of course, I don't know if all of these sets came out of the same factory or
not. Mine came from S@H Europe (which supplies Australia) while I presume Ray's
came from the USA. Certainly if different factories are involved, it increases
the chance of different minor colour variations. I've thrown my boxes away so I
can't say if they indicated where my sets were made. And perhaps there are
other regional considerations, different hemisphere, hole in the ozone layer
and the fact that the natural daylight here is most unnatural at the moment (a
massive thunderstorm seems to be building up overhead and it's getting as dark
as pitch).

Of course, if this is a new special rare shade of pink,  maybe these little
Scala plates will be worth fantastic amounts on ebay in years to come? (I live
in hope!)

Kerry