 LEGO Company / 208
207  |  209
Subject:
Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:09:35 GMT

Hope it hasn't been mentioned earlier.

When I heard about the Enfield closing, I sent a letter to LEGO in Denmark,
asking why the sets were simplified and if the sets would still be packaged
in Enfield.  I got the following back on an official-looking document.
Statements in parentheses are my words:
---------------------------
December 15, 2000

Dear Kevin:

Thank you for writing to LEGO Systems, Inc.  We appreciate the fact that you
have taken the time to convey your observations about the new speciality
items contained in LEGO® sets.(JR. PIECES)  Your letter was transferred from
our offices in Denmark for a speedy response.

All LEGO models are designed to provide a combination of realistic
speciality elements(has anyone found these realistic?) and basic building
bricks so that you can create adventure after adventure.  The design
details(decorated pieces) on several speciality elements add to the "period
authenticity" of a Castle or Adventurers set, for example.  They were not
and are not intended to take away from the creative possibilities of these
toys.  Mixing and matching sets is encouraged, and will always be possible
since all LEGO® bricks and elements continue to directly interlock(what
about Racers in 2001?) for years of added play value.

(THIS IS IMPORTANT)

Also, we appreciate your concern regarding a recent newspaper story that
indicated that the Enfield Plant would be shut down.  We are pleased to
inform you that this story was misleading.  Only the molding area of the
plant was closed, as the work is being transferred to our European offices.
The Enfield manufacturing facility will remain open and most of the sets
will continue to be packed in the U.S.

Again, Kevin, we appreciate your sharing your thoughts with us.  A
collective summary of consumer comments is passed on to different areas of
the Company, as we are continually striving to make our products responsive
to consumers' needs.

Sincerely,
(signature in ink)
Susan Williams
Consumer Affairs

SW/sld

Then there was some space, a cool picture and a saying, "LEGO®...It's hard
to imagine childhood without it."

Just thought it's interesting to note the third paragraph in the letter.

Kevin McMillin