 Local / Australia / 6462
6461  |  6463
Subject:
Falling to the dark side
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 03:27:10 GMT

It all started innocently enough, I thought that I could just alter some
minifig faces to improve them, or differentiate them, by scraping off some
of the factory paint with a craft knife.

I built a mini-me, removing the microphone from a Divers head. Bat Lords
lost their droopy mistaches, Timmies lost their freckles and ridiculous
noses, and Baron Von Barons were miraculously healed of their scars.

Then a bought a very fine permanent marker. Shoguns became dark haired, Rudy
Villano acquired a smile, Baron Von Baron and Dr Cyber had their vision
corrected, and Timmy even went through puberty to grow a five o'clock shadow.

I even made a red smiley (using a stripped red head from a robot), so I
could make a 'red indian', just like lego did in the 70's. And I added a
second eye patch to a pirate head, so I could have my own Blind Pugh.

But why stop at faces? Torsos were next. I made my own red coats, then blue
coats, black coats and green coats (from a few soccer teams). Sherrif torsos
were de-commissioned to civilians. Adventurer Professors became old
fashioned labourers.

Then head gear. First of all it was just taking a knife to Qui-Gonn hair to
make it fit with epaulettes for Inspector Javert. But then I took a knife
and file to a Bat Lord helmet, to remove the wings and make it fit with a
wizard beard (so I could have a proper dwarf).

I took a motor tool to a Darth Vader helmet to remove the mask, so my Dark
Shogun could have a particularly cool hat.

I twisted the arms of Battle Droids over a candle, so they could hold their
guns in what I thought was the "right" way.

I made double bladed Halberds, cutting and gluing to satisfy the demands of
my minifigs for heavy weapons.

I made cufflinks. I cut into 2x2 plates with a knife and then Araldyted them
to cufflink mechanisms.

Then I went against advice and started Brasso-ing 3x2 and 3x4 decorated
slopes. Sure, they're smooth, but I could brasso the undecorated one's too,
couldn't I??? Now I'm looking at those eyes and mouths you get in the
Freestyle sets and thinking about reaching for the Brasso.

I've got a razor saw ready to cut a flybo hull in half, lengthways, so I can
experiment with wider ships.

What's happening to me? What's next - Megablox??

Should I seek counselling? Join Brick Disfigurers Anonymous?

Help!

Richie Dulin
Patrician of Brick-Morpork