 Local / Australia / 5278
Re: Customs Explanation ( WAS: Bugs Lego S@H has arrived!!! good news and bad news :) :( )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:29:27 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, David Drew writes:
From: "Melody Brown" <Black666beast@hotmail.com>
I hope this information will help everyone
understand what this is now all about, but I still don't think that GST
should even come near it!...

Of course it should! Otherwise, shops could use this to increase their
profits at the government's expense, and the government is deprived of
income. So what if you bought the goods overseas. The government would
probably consider that worse, since it worsens balance-of-payments (which is
Not Good), and deprive aussies of jobs.

Yep, yep, yep, even the lady at customs and the post office both agree that
all this is nonsense, as much as they understand why it's done they still
also think it's quite silly. Deprived of income? HAHAHA aha! I am not a shop
and neither is the gov, I work and therefore I pay taxes, I think they will
get enough from that.  I can't see why the gov would find me purchasing
something overseas worse, one the items cannot be bought here, two sending
stuff to Australia keeps Postal workers in a job... there is no depravation
of job loss, instead it helps the jobs move along, the more parcels coming
in the more work and so forth with going out too! etc etc etc

Say you run a small store, call it BUGSTOYS. Bugstoys deals only in Lego. If
you buy your Lego from LA. You pay 10% GST on this Lego, which you then get
as a tax credit for when the Lego is sold to the consumer.

Yep and if I ran a small store then I know to expect stuff like this, the
problem here is also that this reflects all your Xmas goodies that someone
overseas may send to you if they are over the value... now does that seem
fair? to end up paying for your own Xmas goodies?  That's like having to
tell centrelink that for Xmas or B'day that you were given $200 as a gift
and then them saying "great, now live on it for two weeks and then we will
pay you some money".  I mean you can have money or a present, go for the
present cause they don't expect you to sell that or declare it!  But I am
not running a small store with these items.  Buying for personal and for
shop is two different things, one makes a profit the other doesn't (ok
unless you later sell it on ebay :P)...  If I purchased these items IN
Australia I expect to pay GST, not a problem, but I/we did not.

If instead you had your Lego sent to you from overseas, and DIDN'T have to
pay the GST on the Lego incoming Lego, then you could effectively  rip the
government off on their income. You'd probably get caught in an audit, but
maybe not, if you sold your GST-free merchandise by cash, or had some other
creative book-keeping. Charging the GST on all imports is the only way to
guarantee that this doesn't occur.

The Gov has nothing to do with this particular parcel what-so-ever, This
parcel is between us and who sent it etc, it's destined to go from one place
to another and that's it, just like any other parcel.  If this is the case
then all packages should be taxed etc!  After all we don't have to pay GST
for overseas postage stamps etc sent from Australia, so yes, this does sound
silly to me! (in my op).

Either way, the consumer (that's you, with the Lego in your hands) always
pays 10% on all goods. This is right and proper, as people who buy more
things (cue Kerry Packer's cellar list) end up paying more tax.

Yeah 10% on goods purchased IN Australia which I have no problem with, but
just cause this rocked up on our shores and is over $200 we get wacked with
GST, I have no problem paying the customs duty which is only a fraction of
the GST bill.  The thing that ticks me the most though is the GST on the
postage coming in.

Sure the govt. uses the GST to Get More Money, but they do this so they can
Spend More Money. The govt. isn't a bank, trying to make a profit, they're
trying to improve the country as a whole. When the govt can Spend More
Money, they can do so on things we like such as police, hospitals, etc. etc.

Yep and soon Air in jars will be sold to make more money.  And I think I
know and understand that the gov has to get money some how to make and break
but there are a few things that seem a little on the sly side.  BTW GST is
also added to any goods (over a certain amount) once you come back into the
country including anything sent over while overseas according to the forms
so Ross, be aware!  GST and Tax (I am sure you prob already know this).

later,
David Drew
an unashamed fan of the New Tax System, and the Coalition Government.

Mel (who doesn't have that much of a problem with the Tax system IN Australia)