 Local / Australia / 5256
Re: Customs Explanation ( WAS: Bugs Lego S@H has arrived!!! good news and bad news :) :( )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:08:06 GMT

From: "Melody Brown" <Black666beast@hotmail.com>
I hope this information will help everyone
understand what this is now all about, but I still don't think that GST
should even come near it!...

Of course it should! Otherwise, shops could use this to increase their
profits at the government's expense, and the government is deprived of
income. So what if you bought the goods overseas. The government would
probably consider that worse, since it worsens balance-of-payments (which is
Not Good), and deprive aussies of jobs.

Say you run a small store, call it BUGSTOYS. Bugstoys deals only in Lego. If
you buy your Lego from LA. You pay 10% GST on this Lego, which you then get
as a tax credit for when the Lego is sold to the consumer.

If instead you had your Lego sent to you from overseas, and DIDN'T have to
pay the GST on the Lego incoming Lego, then you could effectively  rip the
government off on their income. You'd probably get caught in an audit, but
maybe not, if you sold your GST-free merchandise by cash, or had some other
creative book-keeping. Charging the GST on all imports is the only way to
guarantee that this doesn't occur.

Either way, the consumer (that's you, with the Lego in your hands) always
pays 10% on all goods. This is right and proper, as people who buy more
things (cue Kerry Packer's cellar list) end up paying more tax.

Sure the govt. uses the GST to Get More Money, but they do this so they can
Spend More Money. The govt. isn't a bank, trying to make a profit, they're
trying to improve the country as a whole. When the govt can Spend More
Money, they can do so on things we like such as police, hospitals, etc. etc.

later,
David Drew
an unashamed fan of the New Tax System, and the Coalition Government.