 Local / Australia / 5249
5248  |  5250
Subject:
Customs Explanation ( WAS: Bugs Lego S@H has arrived!!! good news and bad news :) :( )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:57:28 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

So what is happening now? It looks like taxes are coming out at 15%. If they
are still using $50 as the limit for not bothering, that suggests goods
under about $333 will avoid the tax on the way in.

What data do we have to confirm or deny it? Mel's purchases would have been
over the limits above and she was pursued. What about you, Ross? Others?

Yeah, mine was well over that. I guess I wasn't peeved so much at the import
duty as the GST. I just don't see how they can justify collecting GST on goods
they've had nothing to do with. But since when have taxes required
justification...

ROSCO

Well I called customs earlier today to find out why the +*&*#$% they would
charge us $69.87 for GST they said that this particular GST amount was
(check this out) GST on transportation, GST on POSTAGE! boy oh boy was I mad
at that one, I mean as if $120 in postage wasn't enough! and then GST on the
overall goods... which is why the GST total on my slip doesn't look 10%
Customs duty was $27.41 which isn't so much of a yeehaa but the GST on
something I didn't purchase here, to me was pathetic, another way for these
gits to make some extra money.  The Lady I spoke to was friendly and she
told me that next time to arrange for separate parcels to be sent as this
wouldn't be such a big deal.

This is what the back of my customs form reads:

"for unsolicited gifts sent by an individual overseas, Customs duty and the
Goods and Services Tax is not calculated on to the first $200.  Where goods
cost more than this, Customs duty and the Goods Services Tax is calculated
on that part of the value exceeding A$200.  Limits apply to alcohol and
tabacco products"

"High rates of Customs duty applies to goods such as clothing, footwear,
jewellery, cosmetics, toys, car parts, alcohol and tabacco products"

"The calculation for the Goods and Services Tax is determined by the A NEW
TAX SYSTEM (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999 and provides for the
calculation of GST on all goods imported on or after 1 July 2000.  All
imports of wine will be subject to a Wine Equalisation Tax (WET).  The
calculation of GST, and WET where applicable, is based on the following
formula":

** Value of Taxable Importation (VOTI) = Customs Value + Customs Duty + Cost
of Transportation and Insurance

** Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) = 29%xVOTI (for wine purposes importations only).

** Goods and services Tax (GST) = 10%x(VOTI+WET)

** Total Payable = Customs duty + Wine Tax + GST

And there you have it!  I hope this information will help everyone
understand what this is now all about, but I still don't think that GST
should even come near it!...

Mel