 Local / Australia / 5268
Re: IMPORTANT NEWS........!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 06:09:46 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
4. (I asked him about using the LegOz name)......
You would not be allowed to use that name as you could be mistaken for being
LEGO Company.

I have been saying this for a while now.

Which is why I asked if Kev would check on the LegOz name specifically :)

Any more (preferably serious) name suggestions out there? So far we've got
1. AusLug
2. LugOz
3. OzStudz
4. Blockheads
(I make no judgements on the last two, I'm just being complete :) )

If we can come up with a reasonable list of suggestions, we could have a
poll here on lugnet.

Some considerations, snaffled from http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=4939:

1. OzStudz isn't an acronym, its just funny in a non-PC non-genderspecific
in-joke kind of way.

2.Modular bricks have studs and we aren't studs -- that's why it's funny.
Non-members, including prospective members, probably won't get the
joke.

2A. Blockheads is an alternative, more obvious, more self-deprecating
possibility.

3. AusLUG, the Austral(as?)ian Lego Users Group is a bland description of
the club. This name takes the LUG form.

4. LUG is a widely used term, cf LUGNET. Many other local clubs have the
Back-yard LUG (ByLUG) form. LUG is a TLA (Three Letter Acronym) in imitation
of Linux Users Groups (http://www.linux.com/lug/). Key elements of the name
include LEGO and the acronym joke.

5. Regional groups in Australia include MUGS (is that really what they
call themselves, or is it LegOz Victoria? (see 6.)), and BUGS. These names
are derived from the ByLUG form, but don't strictly comply.

6. The nationwide association of LEGO fans can't be called LegOz. This name is
generally accepted, vaguely funny, and only offensive in its spelling and
perpetuation of the Oz=Australia synonym. However it probably infringes on
the LEGO trademark. An alternative is LUGOz, a variant of AusLUG.

I have some quibbles about the LUG formation: there's a fairly high clone
brand presence in Australia (cf Port Block, not Port LEGO Block), and by
LUGNET standards we don't seem to be an especially techie group. On the
other hand, it's widely used and bland.

OzStudz is a bit funnier, more generally applicable, and not a bloody
acronym. But it's also a bit obscure, potentially unappealing, and leaves
open the whole "are you a gang of LEGO fans or a Strip-o-gram company" can
of worms.

Blockheads takes the urine in a typically .au way, it's fairly obvious what the
joke is and the double entendre is totally innocuous. Brickheads would be a
PG alternative. Blockheads might be confused with BLOC
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/bloc/, a recently formed American club.

Just pushing my DUPLO barrow,
Dave