 Local / Australia / 4939
Re: Whats all this about?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:07:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
This is similar to an Idea that got thrown up at a SYDLUG [1] meet once.
That we should all consider making up a big order once a year and possibly
send someone to the US to buy or get it shipped out in one big box.

Perhaps we could talk to Michael from ozbricks.com about a LegOz frequent
buyer scheme... He seems to have the parallel import thing happening okay.

On a less hopeful note:
[1] SYDLUG - my suggestion to resolve the Studs/Slugs debate, It might be
boring, but it isnt ambiguous.

My take on it is this:

1. I'm a member of STUDS (capitalised, isn't an acronym, just funny in a
non-PC non-genderspecific in-joke kind of way).

2. Modular bricks have studs and we aren't studs -- that's why it's funny.
Non-members of STUDS, including prospective members, probably won't get the
joke. That doesn't mean they don't have a sense of humour or are unsuitable
for membership. It might mean they won't join.

3. STUDS is the Sydney Lego Users Group (SYDLUG). SYDLUG is an alternative,
bland description of the club. This name takes the LUG form.

4. LUG is a widely used term, cf LUGNET. Many other local clubs have the
Back-yard LUG (ByLUG) form. LUG is a TLA (Three Letter Acronym) in imitation
of Linux Users Groups (http://www.linux.com/lug/). Key elements of the name
include LEGO and the TLA joke.

5. Other regional groups in Australia include MUGS (is that really what they
call themselves, or is it LegOz Victoria? (see 6.)), and BUGS. These names
are derived from the ByLUG form, but don't strictly comply.

6. The nationwide association of LEGO fans is called LegOz. This name is
generally accepted, vaguely funny, and only offensive in its spelling and
perpetuation of the Oz=Australia synonym.

7. Bi-monthly gatherings of STUDS, the SYDLUG, are variously
(a) STUDSfests (because they're our fests and we're members of STUDS) or
(b) Studfests (because the bricks we play with have studs on them).
I prefer STUDSfests, as it refers specifically to STUDS.

8. Ross has proposed that LegOz get-togethers be called Studfests,
irrespective of location. This follows 7(b), and depends pretty much on
people understanding the joke in 2.
See http://news.lugnet.com/org/au/?n=1467.

9. SLUGS is a vaguely derogatory/self-deprecating term (depending on who
says it) that refers to the members of STUDS. It's a formation along the
lines of 4. and 5.

I have some quibbles about the LUG formation: there's a fairly high clone
brand presence in Australia (cf Port Block, not Port LEGO Block), and by
LUGNET standards we don't seem to be an especially techie group. On the
other hand, it's widely used and bland.

STUDS is funnier, more generally applicable, and not a bloody acronym. But
it's also a bit obscure, potentially unappealing, and leaves open the whole
"well if you belong to STUDS you're saying you're a Stud. You're not, you're
a Slug" can of worms (or should that be... never mind).

I'm happy to compromise on "STUDS, the Sydney Lego Users Group".

Just to make things even more confusing, how does this sound:

Blockheads.

It takes the [mickey] in a typically .au way, it's fairly obvious what the
joke is, the double entendre is totally innocuous, it's not in current use
by any other group, it's not location specific or dependent (so it could
replace STUDS or LegOZ or both) and it describes our decision making process
admirably.

Let's just hope Art Clokey doesn't mind... www.gumbyworld.com

--Dave