 Local / Australia / 4296
Re: 7317 review (was Re: New Stuff In Stock :)))))) wehheeeeeeee :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 14:36:10 GMT

Peter White wrote in message ...

Mmmm...dark grey struts. I guess with space themes Lego have exhausted most
colour combos and needed to have something 'new'. Most MOC builders should • be
happy with new coloured slopes, grey shades will add more realism variety • to
townscapes and provide better alternatives than primary colours.

Actually, looking at the greyish red colour again, I think that the most
appropriate name for it is "Raw Meat". :-)
But the blue is definitely a very, very nice colour. In fact, I'm going back
to the shops this afternoon to buy a mech or two, $40 oir not.
Oh, and I was wrong about the struts - there are 22, not 20.

LOOKS:
I like the look of the whole tubes thing, and the colour-coded gates. The
base itself looks kinda spindly and juniorised, and I think that lavender • is
going to turn a lot of people off. The small mech is way too spindly.
Overall this set doesn't really impress visually.

Paradisa 2020.

Yeah, I wish it was Paradisa 2020... then it would have spaceships with
light-pink 4x4 rocket cones... ;-)
The red and the blue end gates are a lot nicer than the main base. Less
juniorised, better colours... if only the main base were more like them.

Collect the set, like the soccer theme.

Yeah, pretty much. I just wish they'd relied on all the sets being cool and
desirable instead, without resorting to this sort of tactic..

For the transit tubes to function well, you really have to jam the tube • into
the sockets REALLY firmly! Be careful not to kink the tube in the process,
though. That would probably stuff the whole tube section :-(

What about repeated jamming, as kids are prone to do, will the tubes • survive.
Get the Lego Service hotline number ready.

Definitely. I can see kids stepping on these tubes and permanently denting
them. Then again, don't train rails bent from stepping on, become unusable
sometimes?

Overall, the transit-tube concept is no monorail, but it's still dinky and
kind of fun. Who knows, if the air-tightness of the tubes holds over a
couple of dozen sections, and if you automate the pump and tube junctions,
then twelve 7317's would make a pretty cool futuristic transport layout.
Like I said, not as good as monorail (particularly because you can't have
circuits), but still good potential for a similar sort of concept.

If you have been 'out of action', will the pump help you get back 'in • action'?

*rolls eyes toward the ceiling*

Price per part is often misleading, maybe we need a net weight ABS factor.

Definitely. Compare the Snowspeeder to the Imperial Shuttle, both around 24
cents per part but in the Shuttle the parts are mostly a lot bigger and more
useful, which is what makes it such a good value set. Same goes for Droid
Escape, of which everyone should buy at least one. ;-)

A school holiday 20% off will get you down in the AU$130-140 range.
More importantly what stock levels did Myer have of this set. Are we • talking
Rock Raiders HQ or Pod racer set levels.

Definitely pod-racer levels. This one could go clearance... then again, I
feel that the extra stocks of the pod-racer set  that appeared later were
some sort of mistake that they won't make a second time.

Nice review.

Thanks - I didn't expect to write as much as I did, but there turned out to
be a lot to say about 7317 - a mark of a decent set, I think.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/