 Local / Australia / 11213
Re: Cheap Black Seas Barracudas anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:51:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:

   Target starts their sale in 8 days time (or so the sign says).

I too visited Target and saw a similar sign. And what did it make me do?

Instead of spending some money on Lego as I might have done, instead I think “maybe I’ll wait for the sale in case the things I want might be cheaper”. Now human nature being what it is, maybe I may have spent that money elsewhere before the Target sale. So why do Target do this?

To my mind, advance advertising like this (especially in-store) is entirely counter-productive. I read the sign as saying “Buy now and you will be paying too much”. If I had not seen the sign, I might well have bought something. Then when the sale commenced, the advertising of it may have caused me to visit again and spend even more.

Also, I would have thought that if you wanted to sell a lot of toys, a good time to do that would be in school holidays. Which end today (in NSW at least).

So next week, there’ll be cheap LEGO in target. But Parents will have spent a lot of money entertaining their children (or just having their children looked after), and they will have bought cheap LEGO for the kids at KMart and TRU.

James, as a retailer, does Target’s advertising make any sense to you?

Sorry, but according to this post, James will only reply to posts from me (not that there’s any shortage of them, my social life being as rich as it is), so:

James, as a retailer, does Target’s advertising make any sense to you?

:-)

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique