 Local / Australia / 11203
11202  |  11204
Subject:
Cheap Black Seas Barracudas anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:24:07 GMT

Chatswood (NSW) Toys-r-us has $99.97 Black Seas Barracudas.

There were three left on the shelf after I picked up one yesterday, and I couldn’t see any others stored above the LEGO shelves.

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours putting it together last night. My five year old daughter helped in the early stages, but got a bit distracted when she discovered there was a girl pirate, a monkey and a rowboat which could be played with while Daddy built the big boat.

This is the first time I’ve had any new brown hulls (all the others were varying degrees of used), and it was nice to see them nice and shiny. It was also the first time I’ve built a BSB right through, (My other one came partly assembled), and I must say it was a joy to build, and packed with good parts. (In fact, if you’re not a .pirate fan, you could probably throw the hulls and masts away(1) and still think you got good value from the set).

There are a few minor changes from the original, but it’s still remarkable how dated the set is in some ways - the studs down yards because the 1x4 plate with downward pointing arm had not been invented, the use of string rather than string with end studs, and a 1x2 hinge in one colour.

These are my first non-shooting cannons, and I must say I prefer them over the shooting kind. They’ve been spirited away from the BSB for redeployment to the Grand Armie’s as yet unseen Artillerie of the Foot, just because they look nicer.

In case you haven’t guessed yet, I strongly recommend this set. And it is at a remarkably good price.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique

   Misérable
Building a safer South Pacifique

(1)
   This should not be construed as a recommendation that you should, in fact, throw away your surplus hull and mast pieces. Instead, you should send them to me. They’ll be well looked after.