 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1803
Re: Guess who paid for those eToy Lego bargains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:05:28 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, John Neal writes:

It would be nice if TLC thought that marketing directly to adults would be a
profitable venture, but I don't think they do at this
time (and maybe the AFOL market *is* too small).  I think it would work, but
that is just wishful thinking without statistical
support.

Well, at one time they certainly thought adults were worth marketing to:

http://www.people.thirteen.net/~eric/lego/60sArcPP.jpg

Note that in the top two pictures, adult-type people are building adult-type
things with the bricks- and no children are in sight.

Then again, the contents of these packs were, in fact, a bunch of the same
brick (and the same color, too).  So maybe they've decided to try that
particular marketing strategy again (that is, selling adults large numbers of
the same style and color brick in one pack) through a different marketing
channel (ie, the internet, instead of mail order or distributing through retail
stores).

eric