 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1539
Re: Surely this is not legal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 18:59:45 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tom Stangl writes:
It would make sense for many Europeans that pay connection charges on a time
basis - S&H may end up being FAR less than the connect charges to download >them.

Agreed, but for MOST people (which is what I was trying to say) it's pretty
useless. That's not to say there aren't exceptions to the rule. Kinda like
shell promo sets selling for ridiculous prices or some such. It'd be pretty
stupid for ME to buy them like that since I can go down the street and buy
them at my local Shell station.

There are probably only a small handful of people for whom such a deal would
be worth it. And for it to be really worth it, you've got to consider how
many images it would take to balance out the amount you'd spend in
downloading the pictures.

Another problem is that it doesn't give much detail. Personally, I don't
really care all that much about pre 80's sets instructions, and probably
less about the instructions that I already have. And in the event that
someone's really desperate to save a buck on downloading instructions,
they'd probably have already tried to store the images locally (unless they
couldn't for some reason). So it's gotta be something that A. you want and
B. don't have already. And there's no real guarantee except for the few
images you see on the auction page.

Basically what it boils down to is that I'm betting that the person selling
the CD didn't have that pocket market in mind, and instead is hoping to play
off of the uninformed consumers that don't know about Brickshelf. And
further, I'd probably wager that the person that buys it either is informed
and just wants a local copy (and therefore won't pay much at all for it) OR
the person is uninformed and is willing to pay lots for it because they'll
think it's their only chance to recover those lost instructions from long
ago. And they might pay top dollar.

Or the seller might just think it was a cool idea that people might be
interested in and is testing the waters. But I'm kinda doubtful of that. He
also seems to have a rather... interesting feedback history. 21 total
negatives from 19 users (out of 302 total, 282 unique)...

Of course, a full dump of Brickshelf would take several CDs - one of these >days, I'm going to do that, or just store them on a dedicated hard drive.

Now here's a totally sidetracking question--
A. How many CD's would it take to have all the instruction images on brickshelf
B. How many CD's would it take to have all the *DAT* files of the models
built from the instructions from brickshelf?

Dunno why I suddenly thought about that...

DaveE