 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1537
Re: Surely this is not legal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 18:30:48 GMT

Pretty much my point. Not distinctly illegal, (other than the obvious
intellectual property issue), but exceedingly stupid since you can get most
of them free. Also, you'd have to have most of the sets anyway just to build
what you see in each indivdual instruction. Most people I know want complete
sets with instructions anyway, not just a bunch o' brick and hope for
instructions later.

Rich

In lugnet.lego.direct, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard W. Schamus writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Rose Regner writes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=533115033

It probably isn't illegal. It's just not very smart, especially for the
person(s) buying the item. Considering that most of the instruction are
available from www.brickshelf.com and, (I'm only speculating here and am not
in possession of any information that directly confirms or denies this
speculation,) that it would be easy enough to mine Brickshelf for the images
used in the item described. Just a thought.

I'm going to kinda agree with Geoffrey here. This COULD be illegal, except I
don't think Lego will care, really, unless this turns into some sort of
lucrative market.

The images presented are under Lego's copyright. Lego has asked that no sets
currently under production be shown publically, and that out-of-date
instructions may be shown freely in public.

HOWEVER. This seller is making a PROFIT off of Lego's intellectual property
and therefore Lego is entitled to make whatever ridiculous royalty claims
that it desires for selling such property. Lego could charge $400 per image,
they could charge %0.5 percent, they could charge %50,000. Lego could also
say they CAN'T sell it.

Basically, to the best of my knowledge, Lego hasn't said one way or the
other what steps (if any) you should go through if you'd like to sell their
copyrighted material. That's the only reason it could still be legal. But if
Lego HAS said that it is due royalties or some such and this seller hasn't
done his research (or isn't following Lego's edict), then this is most
definitely illegal.

But it's probably not worth Lego's time. Unless it makes lots of money for
some reason. Which it probably won't. Cuz, let's face it. I wouldn't buy it.
Would you?

It's got a high stupidity factor. You could simply get the images free for
yourself off of brickshelf. The only way I can see that this might be of
some value to someone is if they don't have high-speed internet and want
local copies of the images since it would save them from downloading the
images. And even if this were the case, it's not too likely that someone
would want to bother spending the money on the item + shipping and handling,
etc, unless they weren't informed (didn't know about brickshelf, etc) or
just had the money to throw around.

DaveE