 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1536
Re: Surely this is not legal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 18:29:14 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard W. Schamus writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Rose Regner writes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=533115033

It probably isn't illegal. It's just not very smart, especially for the
person(s) buying the item. Considering that most of the instruction are
available from www.brickshelf.com and, (I'm only speculating here and am not
in possession of any information that directly confirms or denies this
speculation,) that it would be easy enough to mine Brickshelf for the images
used in the item described. Just a thought.

It's got a high stupidity factor. You could simply get the images free for
yourself off of brickshelf. The only way I can see that this might be of
some value to someone is if they don't have high-speed internet and want
local copies of the images since it would save them from downloading the
images. And even if this were the case, it's not too likely that someone
would want to bother spending the money on the item + shipping and handling,
etc, unless they weren't informed (didn't know about brickshelf, etc) or
just had the money to throw around.

It would make sense for many Europeans that pay connection charges on a time
basis - S&H may end up being FAR less than the connect charges to download them.

Of course, a full dump of Brickshelf would take several CDs - one of these days,
I'm going to do that, or just store them on a dedicated hard drive.