 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / *424 (-20)
  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

Hello Benjamin, I think Tom has adequately addressed the further points you have raised. If there is anything specific you want me to answer, please ask. Tom, I'd like to thank you for setting the record straight on many set availability issues I am (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Is a BSB really worth $350 plus shipping?

(...) I wonder if some of the rarer stuff will ever be available again. Maybe the slopes in rare colors, and maybe the light blue, pink, purple, teal, brown and beige bricks in all sizes. But I haven't heard about the classic windows (I asked Brad (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) Well said Tom. I think it's hilarious when people say how much better their country is than the US because they get free X, and then whine about why everything costs more in their country or why businesses don't want to set up or expand (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) And why would that hurt TLG? Remember, LD parts will most likely have a MUCH higher profit margin, as there are ZERO middlemen in the distribution path. (...) I wouldn't even know who to call as a distributor, unless you mean S@H/LD. And if (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  RE: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) All I was saying was that the time the machines were used in the sorting, etc of LD orders was time that was being taken from the task of sorting for the sets to be released, and as it was stated that the machines are kept running 24 hours, I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) You need to re-read his premise - the lines would handle BOTH Bulk and sets. To whit: (...) And NZ had BETTER than an LD for years, yet noone let the secret out. (...) Want to back that up with details? The only real exclusives I currently (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

Legoland California has a factory tour which provide a lot of insights into the production. The video in the waiting lines is long about 15-20 minutes and has company history, commericals, and factory clips. Inside contains a working molding machine (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Is a BSB really worth $350 plus shipping?

(...) Actually, I'd expect that one of the most significant factors in the price of pirate ships is if someone is stocking up for the pirate game. My stocking run was quite noticeable to a lot of pirate fans. If the price seems to be levelling off (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) I think they do a little bit of post molding finishing. I'm pretty sure I read about this in one of the books. Depending on the cost to do this (which almost certainly changes over time), they may finish some parts and not others. (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) I would guess that you are correct. I, and other people (IIRC), have gotten parts with swirls of other colors in them, which leads me to believe that they don't hand clean them between runs. Mine is a pretty nifty brick, actually, and I'd love (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

Ian Sinclair <sinclair@cadvision.com> wrote in message news:39643b6f.527169...ion.com... (...) Maybe that is the case, but I've seen one report that the facilities they use are fed from a set of huge silos containing raw ABS materials in different (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Is a BSB really worth $350 plus shipping?

(...) No, they are not. They are worth whatever someone wants to pay for one on a given day. That's it and that's all. I suppose if it were MISB and just A+ all the way (not my experience for eBay, mind you), perhaps one might argue for the premium (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 05:52:48 GMT, you wrote: Benjamin, either I didn't do a very good job on my initial post or you didn't read carefully enough. If you read my reply to Erik Olsen, you'll see that this reorganization of primary and secondary lines (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) Opps... Thanks Geoffrey. It was late, I have no other excuse. <ICS> (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

Erik, you raise many excellent points. I outlined the core idea, the plan is in the details. Some thoughts on what you have said. (...) Erik, if TLC has production lines than currently run unmanned, there is no reason a different organization of (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

Ian Sinclair <sinclair@cadvision.com> wrote in message news:3963efd5.607927...ion.com... HOW TO DO BULK SALES IN THE 21st CENTURY ~~~...~~~ Be prepared, this is long... I hope you find it is worth reading. I think it is time we stopped guessing (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  RE: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

One minor problem with all this...If TLG were to decide to do this, then they would end up putting a sizeable percentage of their machinery to work on the production and filling of customer orders. This machinery would therefore not be available to (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

(...) Ian, I think you started off on the right premise--we're all guessing. But then you go on to assert that your scheme would be cost-effective. What makes you so sure? You've set forth a tidy scheme, but the numbers are still an unknown. Can be (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Bulk Sales in the 21st Century

HOW TO DO BULK SALES IN THE 21st CENTURY ~~~...~~~ Be prepared, this is long... I hope you find it is worth reading. I think it is time we stopped guessing what The LEGO Group's real costs are. None of us know; period. Some people with actual TLC (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general) !

  Re: Bulk Prices!

That's all well and good, but isn't there a fixed minimum cost below which one cannot go - IE in order to turn the molding machine on and have it churn out bricks from the designated mold wouldn't there still have to be a minimum cost incurred for (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact