 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 412
Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:21:35 GMT

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 05:52:48 GMT, you wrote:

Benjamin, either I didn't do a very good job on my initial post or you
didn't read carefully enough.

If you read my reply to Erik Olsen, you'll see that this
reorganization of primary and secondary lines adds the ability to
handle custom orders, it does not affect set production in any way.

Please do not assume that the U.S. is the only country in North
America.  Mexico, is a big chunk and Canada, my home, is the largest
piece of the continent. Are we not the largest country in the world
after the break up of the Soviet Union?  Second largest for sure.

I agree that LEGO Direct should ship globally.  No down side to that.

The only reason I raise my concerns is my desire to receive value for
my consumer dollar.

LEGO has never been cheap. In fact, I think it is quite expensive when
compared to many other ABS products.

If The Lego Company wants to provide a truly valuable bulk purchase
system where they directly benefit by eliminating all middlemen and
product handling between themselves and their end customers around the
world, then shouldn't we also benefit?

Lego elements in volume should be at least 20-40% cheaper than current
retail pricing of pieces within sets.  Maybe even more.

Always remember that TLC makes money either way.  The only difference
is that bulk purchase orders eliminate retailers who half the time
refuse to devote enough shelf space to their products anyway.

As long as there is consumer demand for LEGO sets from the general
public, TLC will always sell sets for retail consumption.  You only
cut out the middlemen when you can. No reason not to sell product
through both market places.

This is a win/win situation.

<ICS>