 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 413
Re: Is a BSB really worth $350 plus shipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:28:46 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Corrine Pearce writes:
I just wondered if BSBs were now worth $400 and if not why would anyone spend
that much on ebay to get one?

No, they are not.  They are worth whatever someone wants to pay for one on a
given day.  That's it and that's all.  I suppose if it were MISB and just A+
all the way (not my experience for eBay, mind you), perhaps one might argue
for the premium paid. I figure its actually worth $80-200 USD in used shape
and depending on the mood of the day, perhaps as much as $300 if MISB.  I
happen to have a BSB, and considering the condition it was in, I think I paid
through the nose for it -- but the seller made good on certain deficiencies I
pointed out to him.  I suppose I got it for a fair price (approx. $130 USD),
and then I was able to replace many parts through Customer Service and helpful
AFOL/Lugnuts.

But anyway, no I don't think $400 is a fair price at this time.  In many ways,
I think I am seeing prices leveling off or even prices dropping since the
advent of Lego Direct.  I think people scent the proximity of rarer elements
being made available again and are therefore less inclined to pay some crazy
auction price for them.  Then again, some items remain high or appear to be
climbing -- I guess it just depends.

-- Richard