 Pirates / 1095
Re: Is a BSB really worth $350 plus shipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 14:56:58 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Corrine Pearce writes:
I just wondered if BSBs were now worth $400 and if not why would anyone spend
that much on ebay to get one? I would love to hear reasons why someone would
pay so much for one.  I do love BSBs but... Is it a good investment? or what?
Corrine

Are they worth $400?  Not in my estimation.  Why would someone pay that much?
Because they value it more than I do, or they are more impatient than I am to
get a good price, or they demand a mint-in-the-sealed box version (and they are
still paying too much in my estimation) or perhaps it is a special gift and
they have to have it NOW, they haven't researched the prices very well, or they
have lots of money and it really isn't that big a deal to them.

It is not a good investment at this time.  A good time to buy them was when the
last of the pirates stuff was on special at TRU a few years ago.  The Redbeard
Runner was $55: even though it was a much poorer design, it provided the basic
ship-building parts for a lot less than either of the other two large ships, so
that held the price down.  Once those dried up, the price started to climb
rapidly.  The Skull's Eye Schooner's price has remained fairly high - there
seems to be a lot less of them than BSB.  But the BSB price has come back down
to fairly sane prices.  I got mine (no box, no instructions) for $86 plus
shipping.  But I waited a long, long time before I found that one.  Getting one
for $120-$150 is fairly easy.

Bruce