 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 419
Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 04:02:01 GMT

"Whytcross, Benjamin" wrote:

One minor problem with all this...If TLG were to decide to do this, then
they would end up putting a sizeable percentage of their machinery to work
on the production and filling of customer orders. This machinery would
therefore not be available to put together sets for sale in stores or
through S@H. Now having heard you say that their machinery must be working
more-or-less constantly in order to fill the needs of the sets they produce
for sale in stores, you seem to be advocating that TLG cut back on or stop
production of these sets.

You need to re-read his premise - the lines would handle BOTH Bulk and sets.

To whit:
The above production line can also be used to churn out transport bins
that are then bagged and boxed for LEGO's own sets as well.

You've had S@H for how long,

And NZ had BETTER than an LD for years, yet noone let the secret out.

you get more exclusive sets than any country,

Want to back that up with details?  The only real exclusives I currently know of
are the 3438 and 3442.  Yet the UK gets 8450 and other sets, Japan gets the
Kabayas, Europe in general gets exclusives/promos all the time.

you've got your own lego factory and park,

So?  That factory doesn't do SQUAT for us, and other countries have parks.

and you've even got LD.

Yeah, and we're basically the Beta testers for the rest of the world, so what.

Instead
of complaining about what you want and don't have, why don't you spare a
thought for all the people who don't have these things, may never have
access to these things, and who are getting sick of all the 'we want this'
and 'we want that' attitude you seem to take. You'd be a lot better off if
you'd just be content with what you've got, instead of trying to force
others to cater to your every whim.

No, I think you need to quit your whining.  Lots of people have offered to get
AUers sets/bulk packs, so it's not like you DON'T have access, you do.

If we keep our mouths shut, LD will think they pegged everything perfectly, and
when they finally get around to serving AU, you'll get the same limited runs as
we do.  If we complain NOW, YOU get better parts later.

You should WANT us to bitch and complain as much as possible, as long as it is
constructive criticism rather than ranting (your constant complaints about LD
being US-only are completely counterproductive - LD WILL be in other countries,
and whining won't speed it up, it will just sour LD's attitude towards you).

Leave the complaining to those in
markets that TLG have been neglecting, or even help by turning your emphasis
from 'we want ...' to 'why can't you let people in ... have access to ...'.
Opening the LD and S@H areas to the rest of the world may even help you to
get what you want after all, as there'd be a much larger customer base than
just the USA/Canada.

You can't rush the base structure they'll need to set up for each country, with
the laws/customs hassle of each.  Whining non-stop that "the US gets everything,
we get nothing" simply won't help.  You want to help LD get into AU faster?  Do
some research with your importation laws, talk to your lawmakers, and see what
can be done to remove or lower some of the INSANE duties that AU imposes on
items (over 100% value is not uncommon on car restoration parts).

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/