 LEGO Company / 201
Re: Pokemon blitzes Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:55:34 GMT

"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Mario Ferrari writes:

I agree with both of you that Pokemon is probably not the only reason for
their losses. But just for your information, Pokemon has been launched in
Europe in 2000 and not in 1999. There's a pretty standard calendar for
licensed products: first launch in the USA, then 4 top 8 months later in • the
UK, then on very close dates the other European countries.

D'oh!  Of course.  I didn't think about the time lapse for things making • their
way to Europe.

This applies to
everything, from Star Wars to Harry Potter, from ET to the Lord of the
Rings.

Ah!  LEGO sets aside, the first two Harry Potter novels were released in • the UK
before even the first one was released in the USA.  It was not quite the
phenomenon it is now at that time.

Sure. They were released in the UK because Mrs. Rowling is from the UK. But
the things will go different for the movie and the licensed merchandising.

The company I work
for produces trading cards and collectible stickers for many publisher
including the Topps/Merlin group, who released the Pokemon cards and
stickers.

Are you producing the cards for the card game?  Or just collectable cards? • My
impression was that in the USA, it was the game cards that really took a • huge
market share.  In college I played Magic: the Gathering, so I was • interested to
see a similar game for younger children.

In Europe it was the collectible stickers that took the huge of the market,
that kind of collectible stickers that the kids stick to a dedicated album,
like the EP 1 Star Wars ones I gave you a year ago. To give you an idea of
the figures, we are talking of more than 500 million packets with 6 stickers
inside each, in about six months :-)
We produced for Topps also the collectible cards (just for the European
market), that performed very well but not even comparably with the stickers.
I believe the game cards are published by Wizards of the Coast,  they maybe
started slowlier than the collectible ones but I guess have a longer life on
the market.

Ciao
Mario