 LEGO Company / 199
Re: Pokemon blitzes Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:10:43 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Mario Ferrari writes:

I agree with both of you that Pokemon is probably not the only reason for
their losses. But just for your information, Pokemon has been launched in
Europe in 2000 and not in 1999. There's a pretty standard calendar for
licensed products: first launch in the USA, then 4 top 8 months later in the
UK, then on very close dates the other European countries.

D'oh!  Of course.  I didn't think about the time lapse for things making their
way to Europe.

This applies to
everything, from Star Wars to Harry Potter, from ET to the Lord of the
Rings.

Ah!  LEGO sets aside, the first two Harry Potter novels were released in the UK
before even the first one was released in the USA.  It was not quite the
phenomenon it is now at that time.

The company I work
for produces trading cards and collectible stickers for many publisher
including the Topps/Merlin group, who released the Pokemon cards and
stickers.

Are you producing the cards for the card game?  Or just collectable cards?  My
impression was that in the USA, it was the game cards that really took a huge
market share.  In college I played Magic: the Gathering, so I was interested to
see a similar game for younger children.

eric