 LEGO Company / 1938
Re: Event kit update and request for data
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 01:52:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   Gather feedback

   Collect Data

   If you, your club, or your organization received a kit, I’d like to request the following:

   Name of Club Number of kits received (some clubs/groups got more than one because of the amount of events they were running)

GardenSLUG: The Garden State Lego User Group. New Jersey Adult Fans of Lego.

One Event Kit

   General location of both club and event(s) where the kit(s) was used

North Eastern United States, state wide - New Jersey.

   Links to any pictures you have of the kit

I created “Chili” the Mecha Dog, within Two Days of getting the Event Kit for our Club. I bring it everywhere. When I show the creation to people, its a nice way of introducing some of the parts from the Make and Create sets. In talking to people, it is also cool to be able to convey the relationship that LEGO has with its Fans and Enthusiasts, hence the source of parts etc... to their surprise.

Chili
Chili

Chili at the LEGO NJ Store
Eric Sophie, GardenSLUG Member Display, SciBrick Member Display

Chili Biomechanical Bricks Art Show
Biomechanical Bricks Art Show, Eric Sophie, GardenSLUG Member Display, SciBrick Member Display, LMHoF

I also used parts from the Event Kit to create “Mr. Krinkle” the Mecha Cat. Now I like bringing this one everywhere! Plus, and again, the parts from this Kit helped me to complete a design that I am proud to show. Thank you.

Mr.Krinkle
Mr.Krinkle

Mr.Krinkle Biomechanical Bricks Art Show
Mr. Krinkle - Eric Sophie, GardenSLUG Member Display SciBrick Member Display

Mr. Krinkle 111 First Street
Mr. Krinkle - Eric Sophie, GardenSLUG Member Display, SciBrick Member Display

Two other GardenSLUG Members and myself have created Models for public displays with the Event Kit.

Tim Caffery put on a display at the Lego Store in NJ. The themes he included generated a lot of questions. Some of the Event Kit Parts helped as well. Thank you.

Tim Caffery GardenSLUG Member Display

Tim Caffery Eagle Modular Transporter

Tim Caffery, GardenSLUG Member Display

Another GardenSLUG Member is working on a model of a popular home improvement center chain, using parts from the Event Kit. When the model is completed, there is a place that it may be displayed at, along with greater use of the materials included with the Event Kit.

   Your best guess on how many people actively participated with the elements of the kit >(took stickers,..)

When I did displays at the NJ Lego Store, they were only partially interactive. Mostly store front, and or display cases. So only verbal communication and visual excitement were at play, so there was not much use for the other materials in the Kit. However countless people looked, asked questions, and got really excited!

When I did a recent Art Show, it a nice two day show, around 75 people. They enjoyed the stickers, pins, and they really liked the Stand Up Banner (the one with the Robo-bot on it). The Bionicle Masks I put out came from another source, but that went really well.

Our group only has about 3 active Members, we try, and interest is gaining. To be honest, in part from help by LEGO. The Store’s, the Kit’s, the working behind the scenes. LUGNET, SciBrick, all are slowly getting the word out to potential fans here in NJ. Wake those sleepers. Come have some fun.

With that said, we here in GardenSLUG land are still trying to use the Event Kit in the spirit from which it was given. So far, it has helped very much so, In my opinion. Both in terms of getting materials in the Fans hands, so we can help YOU (the LEGO Company) and at the same time, provide a means to spur on new growth within our ranks. In addition to the Lego parts in the Kits, that helps us in the core or central activity, Lego bricks and elements themselves. (thank you again)

   Your best guess on overall LEGO brand “exposure” (amount of people who came in contact with >the kit)

I say, when everyday people get out and show their creativity, and when it’s with Lego, then people who see their displays also see the LEGO brand name along with us. It says a lot. It says, LEGO “Knows” about us. Us the Fans, Us, the Builders Orgs, Us the Local User Groups, Us the Artists.

The stand up banner, the pins, the bricks, the shirts, etc.. all have had a chance to be seen and used seen by the public during a show I did, and perhaps 50 of them, really took notice and either built, asked questions or took materials from the Kit directly, others in attendance had more Biomechanical Bricks, or Show/Art questions.

When models were displayed at the NJ Lego Store by myself and Tim, countless people were exposed to the Fan aspect of building (via the Club Sign denotation) despite the Brand Retail Location.

   This info will help me pull together a solid business case for why we should do this concept again. (Or more specifically, >an even better version of this concept) Help me showcase how cool and effective this concept was.

   Thanks in advance for your help!

A big thank you from GardenSLUG!

   Jake

   --- Jake McKee Community Liaison LEGO Community Development

Eric Sophie

GardenSLUG
SciBrick
LMHoF