 Harry Potter / 904
  Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

This may sound strange, and i am not trying to slam HP fans or start a flame war or anything, but i look at the designs, and i am really disappointed. They just seem kind of haphazard and thrown together. The colour schemes also don't do anything (...) (23 years ago, 15-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

(...) Colours are not too bad. In fact, it is kind of useful to have these colours around (let's say I'm trying to make a psicadelic diorama... ;-) IMO, most of the sets are like you say: a bunch of parts thrown together, and looking marginally (...) (23 years ago, 15-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

(...) It's not strange to think that IMO, but I have a suggestion: take another look at the HP line, only this time, try to imagine it through the eyes of a 10 year old. I think you will find that it has much more appeal. As an exclusively MOC (...) (23 years ago, 15-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

(...) Without trying to be glib, I think it's the Harry Potter name that is selling these sets. The books are terrific stuff. They appeal to both kids and adults. They are well-written and entertaining. But the LEGO sets rely almost entirely on that (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

(...) I am 33 years old. But my little kid brain is only about 9 or 10. I see things like movies and books and toys through the eyes attached to this brain. I've read the Harry Potter books and loved them. I will likely read them again sometime. (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

I agree, Allan. It is kind of interesting to ponder, especially if you compare these sets to the the ones, say, twenty years ago. The "bar" for kids was higher then. There wasn't as much cheap entertainment (ie video games). The sets were more (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Parts are great, set design is, well, not-so-great

The HP sets are GREAT for parts, even though they're a tad expensive. I'm really only peeved by the cardboard diorama pieces in the smaller sets that I know I'm going to be throwing away. I borrowed the books and read them and they were enjoyable, (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

(...) I agree, only I would go even further and suggest one try to imagine what it would look like through the eyes of a ten year old girl. Girls are as big Harry Potter fans as boys are, and LEGO traditionally has had more of a following among boys (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?

(...) Personally, I'm not so much put out by the color as the design. As a MOC builder, sure, I'd like to see the "regular" colors, but I recognize the value in some irregular colors. But the real problem is design. I always build rather rushedly. (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.harrypotter)