 Harry Potter / 908
Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:42:11 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, John Grubber writes:
This may sound strange, and i am not trying to slam HP fans or start a flame
war or anything, but i look at the designs, and i am really disappointed.
They just seem kind of haphazard and thrown together.  The colour schemes also
don't do anything for me- the doors and such would be great, if they weren't in
such strange colours.

What is it about them that people like so much?

In all seriousness,

It's not strange to think that IMO, but I have a suggestion: take another look
at the HP line, only this time, try to imagine it through the eyes of a 10
year old.  I think you will find that it has much more appeal.

I am 33 years old.  But my little kid brain is only about 9 or 10.  I see
things like movies and books and toys through the eyes attached to this
brain.  I've read the Harry Potter books and loved them.  I will likely read
them again sometime.  However, I must agree with John Grubber that these
sets just don't hold up to LEGO's standards.  They seem to be loose
collections of pieces intended to represent a moment out of the book, rather
than strong backdrops for kids to play out scenes for themselves.  As I said
in my reply to John G's original post, if these sets weren't labelled Harry
Potter... they wouldn't be selling.

As an exclusively MOC builder, I wish so many cool parts came in "normal"
colors, but I always remind myself that LEGO is a toy intended for kids.

But isn't that like saying that the Harry Potter books are only for kids?
In fact, the publishers release these same books with 'adult oriented'
covers on them that make them appear like something from the literature
section.  Same words inside, different cover on the outside.  There is no
reason that the books needed to be limited to kids, just as there's no
reason to limit LEGO's products to children.  Perhaps if LEGO raised the bar
a bit they would be surprised to find that kids would rise up to meet it.
Have you ever seen some of the multisyllabic that Rowling uses in the Potter
books?

I was surprised at one point to see her use the word 'apoplectic'.  I think
I was in my 20's before I knew what that word meant.  She doesn't dumb down
the books for the sake of making them more 'kid-like'.  And I've yet to hear
complaints from kids that the books are too hard.

The books are well-written (just the way that LEGO sets *can* be
well-designed) and kids appreciate that fact; as do many adults.  LEGO could
learn a lesson from the books and how they appeal to their audience; both
young and old.

*They* will always be the primary markets for this product...

O.K.  Why?  Just because something 'is' doesn't mean it has to stay that
way.  :)

Signed,
Always hoping for better stuff from a company that knows better
a.k.a.  Allan B.