 Harry Potter / 905
Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:28:04 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, John Grubber writes:
This may sound strange, and i am not trying to slam HP fans or start a flame
war or anything, but i look at the designs, and i am really disappointed.
They just seem kind of haphazard and thrown together.  The colour schemes also
don't do anything for me- the doors and such would be great, if they weren't in
such strange colours.

Colours are not too bad. In fact, it is kind of useful to have these colours
around (let's say I'm trying to make a psicadelic diorama... ;-)
IMO, most of the sets are like you say: a bunch of parts thrown together,
and looking marginally better than juniorized sets. But I fancy the Hut, it
seems to have many parts useful for castle/town MOCs. Plus, the Castle and
train have either unique parts (the knight) or a good look.

What is it about them that people like so much?

Good question. In fact, why do people like the HP books so much?
IMHO, it is not a rationally explainable thing... people like 'em, and
that's it. I guess the same is applicable to the sets.
Or, on a different approach, it can be a surprisingly good outcome from
TLC's strategy: the "playset", to join other playsets and use as a large
scenario for a story. Who knows, this may well be the case...

Pedro