 Harry Potter / 907
Re: Whats the deal with the Harry Potter sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:26:09 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, John Grubber writes:
This may sound strange, and i am not trying to slam HP fans or start a flame
war or anything, but i look at the designs, and i am really disappointed.
They just seem kind of haphazard and thrown together.  The colour schemes also
don't do anything for me- the doors and such would be great, if they weren't in
such strange colours.

What is it about them that people like so much?

Without trying to be glib, I think it's the Harry Potter name that is
selling these sets.  The books are terrific stuff.  They appeal to both kids
and adults.  They are well-written and entertaining.

But the LEGO sets rely almost entirely on that appeal, rather than solid
design work.  If these sets didn't have the words 'Harry Potter' printed on
them, they would be sitting on store shelves as we speak.  If this were the
next or current release within the Castle line (with some story line
generated within the company) you'd have LEGO fans young and old lining up
to bash them.

These sets are similar to the Star Wars sets, in that the story and
characters from the original source is very strong.  However, the Harry
Potter sets differ from many of the Star Wars sets in that the Potter stuff
is not nearly as well thought out from the LEGO point of view.

Regards,
Allan B.