 Harry Potter / 744
  HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

Hi All, now that  4708 Hogwarts Express is available (in USA via S@H and some stores) can someone please answer me this. Why on earth did LEGO not make this amazing train compatible with the existing 9V train sets? What were they thinking?!? It (...) (23 years ago, 23-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) Cost? (...) Yes, *someone* has. Specifically, the someone was the Set Designer. The included instructions give step by step directions for doing just that. (23 years ago, 23-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  RE: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

Actually, the instructions show outlines of the 4 trucks being removed and replacing them with the new trucks and motor. Therefore, somebody not familiar with trains may have a hard time. They DO NOT show the assembly of the trucks or motor. Thanx, (...) (23 years ago, 23-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

this is actually the very first time I visit the HP group. The reason? To ask the question about the HE and 9 V conversions. I was hesitant to order one, as the describtion on the S@H website states that the train will not run on Lego Track. But (...) (23 years ago, 23-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) That's presumably the reason, but I wonder how much more it would have cost to make it a push train? Certainly including a train motor would have dramatically increased the cost. All in all, I like the set. The coach is somewhat oddly built, (...) (23 years ago, 23-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) You are correct sir. I forget, since I can assemble trucks blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back, and motors while I am asleep, that not everyone else can too. (23 years ago, 23-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) Thank you, sir! (...) Hey Lar, can you demo this at Briskfest 2002? :-) I can do it blindfolded, but need 2 hands. Hey, I am a tuba player, you know, not all that coordinated. :-) Thanx Mark #525 (23 years ago, 24-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) Sure. At BRISKfest, yes. But I'm all booked up at Brickfest so won't be able to do it for you there. (23 years ago, 24-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  RE: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

All right, all right. When is Todd/Suz gonna put a spellchecker on the web interface Thanx, Mark (who usually posts thru Outlook) Millère LUGnet # 525 Visit Milissa's LEGO store, Millère's Spares (URL) -----Original Message----- From: (...) (23 years ago, 24-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: HP HE: licensing not cost (wasHogwarts ..?

To answer the original question regarding 9v disparity -- as answered by an inside person with whom I spoke... It was a matter of licensing. WBros granted another toy train mfr exclusive rights to market an electric toy train model of the HE. dan (23 years ago, 24-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) I built the train 3 days ago and I was pretty puzzled about the whole internal spring thing as well. I tried and tried and I couldn't get it to eject the treasure chest either. I was also wondering why they put hinges along the entire side of (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) internal (...) the (...) but (...) of a (...) Must (...) I'm thinking it's probably because the set had to do *something* to ahve some play value, and this is the best that they could come up with. I think they should have just made it a real (...) (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) I agree. Even a push train. But Dan Parker posted that he had heard that the studio sold the electric train rights to someone else. (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) Isn't It Bachmann that's producing the HO Scale train? Josh (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) If there's any truth to the licensing, then they've certainly done the next best thing. Make a non-train train set with parts which minimize the cost, but provide instructions for how to use your own train parts (or parts from S@H) to turn it (...) (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) Bachman is correct. I saw it today in TRU and it is a nice little set - the engine, a tender, and two coaches (both different), plus an oval of track and a speed regulator. A bit pricey at $69.99, however, but that's licensing costs for you. (...) (23 years ago, 30-Sep-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

Hello! Excuse me for being dense, but I'd like to make sure I understand this: (...) So if I'd give my kids the HP train, they'd have to cannibalize their existing 9V set in order to put the HP on the rails (not to mention motorization)? Or I'd have (...) (23 years ago, 13-Dec-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)

  Re: HP Hogwarts Express and normal 9V trains?

(...) Yes. (...) Yup. (...) Yes. (...) Yes. (...) Or that means that the train isn't compatible with tracks at all, being just a push toy. -John (23 years ago, 13-Dec-01, to lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains)