 General / 6858
Re: LEGO section starting on Compuserve
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:51:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, "Brian H. Nielsen" <70401.2635@compuserve.com> writes:
[...]
Now, if anyone can make any additional suggestions for useful core files
and/or grant me permission to upload said files to Compuserve you would be
helping me expand the online LEGO community to large numbers of users who
otherwise would not participate in an online LEGO community.

Wow.  Does this mean that there are people who have Compuserve access but
who don't have general Internet access?

--Todd

   They have access to the Web if they *want* it, but there are a variety
of reasons many don't venture outside CIS.

   Some background:  Many CIS members joined long before the Web and
proliferation of local ISP's exploded onto the scene.  The Internet was
difficult for ordinary home users to get access to outside of their
workplace, and only then if their workplace was connected.  Most of what
existed on the Internet was FTP, TELNET, and usenet groups.  At this
point in time Compuserve provided a vastly superior organizational
structure of information (Forum files and message boards) and Email.
Another key benefit is that the Compuserve forums and sections were
watched over by sysops to insure adherence to CIS's rules of conduct and
to handle various administrative duties related to the file libraries,
messages, and conference rooms.  (This puts CIS messaging somewhere
between a moderated usenet group and a free-for-all usenet group.)  With
this infrastructure provided by CIS the various forum members can
concentrate their efforts on building their interpersonal community
instead of re-inventing the wheel each time a new forum is created.

   Today, when it comes to message boards, the web is still far behind
what Compuserve provides.  LUGNET is a notable exception.  Your
graphical tree for message threads is wonderful.  It's also home grown,
and that's why very few Web sites provide such a high level of message
board support.  You are to be commended, and I have praised this site
for it in my LEGO discussions on Compuserve.

   Some CIS members have ventured out to usenet groups and been turned
off by the rudeness encountered.  They retreat to CIS and decide not to
venture out again.

   Some CIS members venture out to the Web, but encounter a vast land of
silent Web sites.  They can browse a vast library/mueseum, but there is
no personal interaction or conversation to share ideas and thoughts.  So
they too retreat to CIS for these features.  They may use the Web
occasionally, but view it more as a last resort.

   Some CIS members are on tight budgets.  They use offline readers and
payment plans that charge by the hour.  During a whole month they use
only a couple hours of actual online time.  Spending hours a day online
browsing the Web is not an option for them.

   CIS also offers a *huge* number of forums on just about every topic
imaginable with helpful staff and knowledgable members from all over the
world.  To some CIS members it may never cross their mind to look
elsewhere.

   Obviously, none of these apply to me since here I am.  I emerged from
my Dark Age early this year and have been frequenting LUGNET for several
months.  I was *stunned* recently to find that Compuserve did not have
anyplace dedicated to LEGO.  I thought it was a situation worth changing
and ended up agreeing to anchor a LEGO section.

   So, whatever their reasons, there are CIS members who do not use the
Web as their primary online experience.  I would like to bring them into
an online LEGO community.

   So, Todd, now that I have your ear:  Since the Pause Magazine area is
"owned" by you (as I understand it), may I have your permission to
periodically upload set lists generated from the Pause Magazine page to
Compuserve?  I think this would be a valuable core file for LEGOmaniacs
to have access to.

Brian

P.S.  Go to:

   http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/default.asp?srv=tradingcard

   and get into message section 19 "Magic Talk", scroll to the topic
titled "LEGO section?" and you can read the genesis of the LEGO section
talk on CIS beginning in mid-July.  My posts appear in the tree as
"Brian H.".  (Apparently looking at CIS from the web strips off last
names for privacy.)