 General / 6532
Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:24:28 GMT

Hi Gary,

1119 was also useful for building train set 133.

Mark H.

Gary Istok wrote:

It's been a dull week on the net.......
Someone recently asked me which service/parts pack was the most
valuable.  I had to really think about that one for a while.

I guess "rarest" and "most valuable" service packs can mean 2 different
things.

Now for a trivia question, what would be considered to be the most
valuable service pack?  (There surely will be many answers).

I have 2 candidates for this honor in my collection.

One of the candidates is the very obscure 1977 #1119 polybag pack (never
available in North America), which although technically is for a train
locomotive, is actually for a model builder set (or could be used for
that purpose).  Any of you who are familiar with the 1975 Thatcher
Perkins Locomotive #396 (one of my favorite sets) would recognize set
#1119 as the "rod and piston" (not sure if this is correct train
terminology) parts pack.  This pack has the 6 parts unique to this set.
I was lucky to find a hoard of these in Germany in the 1980's, and sold
most of them off over the years.  With the Thatcher Perkins going for
over $350 in auction, this parts pack becomes even more valuable,
because it enables you to build a Thatcher Perkins without owning the
set.  All other pieces are available elsewhere. (Only the stickers are
missing).  The last one I sold of these was for $50, and that was not at
auction!

There are other candidates for most valuable parts packs.  (Hint:
Samsonite made US parts packs with more contents (they had larger boxes)
than their European counterparts.)

Maybe there are some rare and desireable packs in the train system.

Any other guesses?

Gary Istok