 General / 6509
Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:32:45 GMT

   I agree with Gary on the 1119 - it is probably the most valuable parts
pack out there, just because of the rare parts it contains.  However, I
doubt it is the rarest - I think some of the old 60s parts packs must be
rarer, and its likely that one of those packs with Train parts from that
period is the rarest.  Also, the 60s US parts packs seem to be much harder
to find than the European counterparts, so maybe the rarest one is from the
US.  Still, I am having enough trouble finding a parts (service) pack thats
only ten years old!  #5059 (Castle Accessories).  I still have the plastic
bags to a few of these, but none are still sealed, so I am still looking for
a mint one.

--
   Have fun!
   John
Gary Istok wrote in message <37B31D87.7FED5E34@umich.edu>...

G. Benedikt Rochow wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:
It's been a dull week on the net.......
Someone recently asked me which service/parts pack was the most
valuable.  I had to really think about that one for a while.

that purpose).  Any of you who are familiar with the 1975 Thatcher
Perkins Locomotive #396 (one of my favorite sets) would recognize set
#1119 as the "rod and piston" (not sure if this is correct train
terminology) parts pack.  This pack has the 6 parts unique to this set.

What parts exactly does it contain? And what is unique about them?
From J. Lauher's 396 scan it looks like the std. red "counterweight"/hub
mount, the yellow stick, and the black piece that the "piston" runs in
- or are these larger than normal?
(BTW, I sure don't remember ever seeing anything labelled in an
appropriate manner for the given (unique pieces for a large set)
functionality in my 396-vintage catalogs...)
<snip>
-gbr

Yes, those 2 (each) red, yellow and black pieces are the ones I'm talking
about.  No they aren't labelled as unique in any catalog.  I was only • trying
to make a point that if you decided (like I did) to make a Thatcher Perkins
from scratch (only spare pieces), what would most likely prevent you from
completing your model.  These 6 pieces (and of course the stickers) are the
"key" to completing your set.  All other pieces are found in multiple other
sets.

In addition to these #1119 pieces, you would need:

6 large red spoked wheels (very expensive)
1 small black spoked wheel
4 small red spoked wheels (with black tires)
3 (1x2x2) yellow windows
3 (1x1x1 minifig heads without printing) yellow rounds
Lots of (1x1x1) round bricks in yellow, blue and black
4 (1x6x1) red arches
2 (1x4x1 red arches
2 (1x4x2) red lattice fence gates
4 (2x2) quarter circle "macaroni " bricks in blue and in yellow
Quite a few blue and black regular sloped bricks
Lots of black plates
Lots of red, blue and black bricks.

Now what of all of these pieces would give you the most trouble to get?
Probably the 6 (2 red, 2 yellow, 2 black) pieces in the 1119 set.  No other
set has these, except of course the 396 and this 1119 parts pack.  The • large
spoked wheels can be found in about 6 other sets, the small spoked black
tires can be found in many early train sets, etc.

I'm in the process of building 3 of these (fake) Thatcher Perkins for my 3
nephews (the 4th, the oldest, already got the original set about 7 years
ago).

So maybe "unique" isn't the right word,  so "found in no other set regular
set except this parts pack" would fit the bill..

Gary Istok