 General / 5513
Re: windows (strange colored )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:13:53 GMT

Gary Istok wrote in message <378A2621.B7334F69@umich.edu>...
Larry,  You are indeed correct!

I can't imagine anyone wanting to sell those 10 grey windows.  They are a
part of that Intercity Train set.  Since Paul is new to the group, we
certainly don't want to take advantage of that fact (unless he was well
compensated).  But I'll bet that they would certainly command a premium on
Auczilla or eBay, especially if you Lego Train folks are involved.

I have been following this thread with great interest, and at this point I
feel moved to give my views on the pieces I am trading (and on rare pieces
in general). I'm not responding specifically to Gary, just anyone who's
following this thread. I won't divulge any details of the trade, as I guess
that might be rude (I've only been here a week). I would like to point out,
though, that the number of parties who showed interest was a lot smaller
than the impression this thread would seem to give, and that I feel (so far)
that I am being well compensated.

Firstly, I would like to point out that if at any point I stated or even
implied that the set was _complete_, it was a mistake. There's no box, no
instructions, missing stickers and missing/possibly broken pieces
(presumably there is no harm in talking about the set because it's only the
windows for trade here). When I have kids in the future, I would like them
to have a train set and I assume that I wouldn't be able to trade the set
(as is) for an amount of Lego Train gear of greater quantity and/or quality.

It's also a matter of aesthetic compromise. I refuse to trade, for
instance, the yellow corner slopes on the 7740 locomotive's roof, as that
would severely compromise the train's looks; however, I feel that my kids
will be quite happy (as I would) substituting other windows/bricks for the
grey windows, and that the look of the train would still be good, and I
would explain to them that those windows have allowed someone else to make
many wonderful things, and have allowed me & my kids to make more wonderful
things as well.

And don't forget that my values are not necessarily the same as everyone
else's when it comes to Lego. I don't particularly want to bleed the trade
for every little thing that I can, I feel that that's greedy, and greedy is
_not_ nice. If it turns out that I could have got a little more for my
windows, then anyone who feels a little envious/amused/incredulous has
perhaps not thought enough about how much enjoyment I'll gain from the
pieces I'm trading for (and the enjoyment I hope the recipient gets from
their windows). True, most of you don't need to hear me preaching like this,
but I must say that sometimes all this talk of rare pieces sounds too
materialistic at times. Lego pieces are just bits of coloured plastic with
which you can build whatever wonderful things take your fancy. Hmm,
evidently they're quite materialistic enough already :)

And besides, there's not much else to do with those grey windows (besides
train use), since there are so few other grey windows available (mostly
1x4x5 and 1x4x6 - 3 pane).  I'm not sure, but were there ever any grey • doors
made?  Definetely not the 1x2x3 nor the 1x3x4 doors.

Not having much else to use the grey windows for was part of the reason I
decided to give them up. I don't particularly like the old-style windows
myself.

But us old time Town folks have always "cast a covetous glance" at some of
the Lego pieces that are unique to the Train system, such as the small • grey,
black and yellow windows from the 1970's and 1980's Train sets.

I'll always feel sad about the fantastic Pirate Ships and Model Team trucks
that came and went during my Lego Dark Age. *sigh* At least they still
_make_ Trains, even if they aren't as good as they used to be....

Paul
"LEG GODT!"