 General / 54012
Re: Update news on BrickShelf.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:48:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Joel Midgley wrote:
   I’m kind of worried about that myself. If generating revenue was a problem, I’m not sure how this will help given that users can still opt for a free, non-premium account. If the freeloading userbase was the problem, why not implement a minimum fee for all users rather than charging $60 per year to what will likely be a very small minority? Right now, I wonder if this fee will have any significant impact on Brickshelf’s bottom line.

I think cutting off free access would be kinda harsh. But I could definitely see restricted access -- limited resolution on files, etc.

Steve

I guess my greatest concern is that not enough members actually pony up the cash. We could easily end up back at square one six months from now. Brickshelf has accepted donations in the past with limited success. What’s to say that this monthly fee will be any different? It’s quite expensive compared to sites like Flickr. I think that restricted access would have to be very restricted before most people even consider making a financial contribution.