 General / 53818
  Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

Hello everyone. While many may not recognize my name, I am a long time AFOL. And while I barely post, I am an active and appreciative member who has watched the Lego community grow from it’s infancy since the mid 90s (wow, I really feel old now). (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Christopher, I've not read all the posts on this topic, so I didn't realize people were disrespecting Kevin for the changes to Brickshelf. This is completely uncalled for and should stop right away. I appreciate your approach to the change, in (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

Hey, Sounds good. Let's look to see what we can do positively rather than sit around and gripe about things. I would be happy to act as a moderator of a resurrected variant on Brickshelf. I'm sure we could easily create a large team of trusted AFOLs (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Didn't you do that anyway ; ) ..a little humour on a dark day... God Bless, Nathan (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Christopher, I agree with your sentiments. I'm not a terribly active AFOL. Still, I've sent $10 via PayPal to Lugnet, and to Brickshelf, and to Peeron. My son and I have certainly gotten more than our money's worth from these great online (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

I'm a web developer. I can help build such a site. (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Replying to my own post: According to a whois lookup, the brickshelf.com domain name expires 20 August 2007. If a new site rises from the old, it would be nice for it to have the same domain name. I don't know if Kevin would be interested in (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Ditto. I'm a Perl guy, and I believe the existing Brickshelf code is written in Perl. I'd love to see the code be released as an open source project (unlikely if Kevin intends to continue with maj.com but I can always hope), and would be happy (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Brickshelf is not in Perl. It is in C. Jennifer Boger www.Peeron.com (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

Chris I completely agree with your response and I just want to add my support & appreciation toward Kevin and all his wonderful work. I am very surprised to see Brickshelf down and I would love to help in any way I can, which isnt a whole lot =( But (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

Why doesn't TLG run a gallery for AFOLs? Yes, there's a (URL) sort of gallery> on LEGO.com, but it's an unbrowsable mess filled with 10-year-olds posting images they stole from Ed Boxer. Have any of the Ambassadors discussed this with the company? I (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

Then we'd definitely need source code to make modifications. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) The obvious reason to resurect brickshelf is the 10+ years of AFOL content that is now gone. I would gladly donate to any effort to bring the brickshelf content back online in a way that links to existing blogs/posts/etc are preserved. Even if (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Not yet (AFAIK...) (...) I'm not convinced by that. Didier Enjary (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) You don't think Brickshelf brought a lot of people into (or back into) the hobby? How much does TLG spend to send two pages of MOC pictures to people all over the world (via the magazine)? Marc Nelson Jr. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) I absolutely won't speculate about TLG intentions on this front. But I would like to point out that comparing a return to the hobby via Brickshelf and the efforts of the LEGO Magazine is an apple and oranges comparison. Those "two pages of MOC (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) You're absolutely right, Jake, they're quite different. I was just pointing out that TLG probably spends about as much money on that spread as it would running something like Brickshelf. Do you think a "LEGOshelf" gallery site would be a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Brickshelf, Lugnet, BrickLink, Classic-Castle, Classic-Space, 1000steine, BrickJournal, BrickFest, ILTCO/NMRA, Ldraw and LEGO CAD Tools... (well known typical AFOL "products") they all participate to bring people into the hobby - not only (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Marc-- Sounds like a good idea. Heck, it sounds like a great idea at first blush. However... TLG is not in the website business. (Nor should they be.) They are working with NetDevil to create an MMOG (or whatever they call it); and their (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) You're right on about a gallery site being outside of TLG's core business. But what if the site wasn't run by TLG, but just funded by it? Actually, if Brickshelf is gone, then this might be the sort of thing that the new, improved LEGOFan.org (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) Not a bad idea, although somebody needs to jump up and down on the jerk who's not doing anything with a perfectly good (but empty) LEGOFan right now. Kelly (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

(...) I have noticed on LUGNET that there are a number of sites that are being offered as alternatives to BrickShelf. My concern is the issue of the number of sites now competing to fill the void and splintering the community, rather than one major (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution

LEGO already has an image hosting service, but it's for NXT creations only: (URL) is not averse to running something like Brickshelf/MOCpages, but LEGO's version is clearly meant to promote the Mindstorms brand. I would like to see LEGOFan.com or (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)