 General / 53869
Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:51:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   You don’t think Brickshelf brought a lot of people into (or back into) the hobby?

How much does TLG spend to send two pages of MOC pictures to people all over the world (via the magazine)?

I absolutely won’t speculate about TLG intentions on this front. But I would like to point out that comparing a return to the hobby via Brickshelf and the efforts of the LEGO Magazine is an apple and oranges comparison.

Those “two pages of MOC pictures” are things created and submitted by kids, most under the age of 13. Brickshelf required you be older than 13, with the median age (I’m confident) being well into the 20s or older.

Again, I have no idea what TLG plans may or may not exists, and that’s not the point of my post. I just wanted to make sure that we don’t start down a path of discussion that’s not worthwhile.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Private Citizen
“Keeping hope alive”

You’re absolutely right, Jake, they’re quite different. I was just pointing out that TLG probably spends about as much money on that spread as it would running something like Brickshelf.

Do you think a “LEGOshelf” gallery site would be a worthwhile investment for TLG? It just seems to me like a cheap and easy way for the company to support the hobby, but then I’ve never been on the inside. Didn’t TLG contribute to Brickshelf at some point, or was that just LUGNET?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc