 General / 53841
Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:58:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jordan Bradford wrote:
I'm a web developer. I can help build such a site.

Ditto.  I'm a Perl guy, and I believe the existing Brickshelf code is written in
Perl.  I'd love to see the code be released as an open source project (unlikely
if Kevin intends to continue with maj.com but I can always hope), and would be
happy to help however I can to improve the code and bring it into the 21st
century.

I don't have a lot of spare time to help with operations and administration
however.

Really, however, I think the right solution is to help people migrate their
content over to Flickr, and provide a mechanism for hosting non-image content
such as LDraw files, PowerPoint presentations, and other things like that.  Why?
Flickr is the best of breed, so why not use that.  We could even write a
lego-specific frontend to Flickr, thanks to its powerful APIs, if people wanted
that.

But the bandwidth costs for something like Brickshelf are mostly due to the fact
that it is hosting  image files that get a lot of traffic.  Smaller files that
get less traffic such as LDraw files can't be hosted on Flickr and don't have
much of a bandwidth burden associated with them, so that's where the need is
greatest AND the cost is lowest.