 General / 53873
Re: Brickshelf.com – A Possible Solution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:32:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Didier Enjary wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

You don’t think Brickshelf brought a lot of people into (or back into) the hobby?

Brickshelf, Lugnet, BrickLink, Classic-Castle, Classic-Space, 1000steine, BrickJournal, BrickFest, ILTCO/NMRA, Ldraw and LEGO CAD Tools... (well known typical AFOL “products”)

they all participate to bring people into the hobby - not only BrickShelf.

but also StarWars licenced products, MindStorms, LDD and LEGOFactory, cool Technic sets on toys stores shelves (typical TLG products)....

So, do I think BS brought a lot of people into the hobby?

No. I think that’s a whole.

(And don’t misread me, I enjoyed BS, I miss BS yet, I thank Kevin for BS, I paid fee for BS and I sincerely regret not having sent him a note to express my gratefullness).

But let face it, I see no point for TLG to maintain such a galleries’ website (costs) with regard to profit (new guys - or girls - directly brought into the hobby with help of such a galleries collection).

In fact LEGOFactory gallery is just about that and as you may guess, they face problems to make it efficient and smooth to run for them.

Again, don’t misread, If I do compare LDD gallery to BrickShelf is just to point another reason why TLG won’t - IMHO - run a BS-like section on their website.

How much does TLG spend to send two pages of MOC pictures to people all over the world (via the magazine)?

The lego magazine is no more available in France since last year, so it’s for sure too much with regard to the benefit for them.

See also Jake comment.

Didier

Marc Nelson Jr.