 General / 53742
Re: color problems with 10190
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:37:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Patterson wrote:
I know that I didn't imagine it, but there was a post on Lugnet that linked to a
story in a financial publication that said they were out sourcing the production
of the bricks to Flextronics with has sites around the world mostly in emerging
nations.  It stated and the thread stated the Lego was no longer making the
elements.  Perhaps someone else remembers that and has the link.  I started
noticing problems with the Avitar sets in that the bricks did not fit well
together and noticed that they were being produced, or at least some, in the
Czeck Republic and China.  I have also noticed in other sets that the bricks are
sometimes too tight and they are hard to break apart after being built.  Also
ten years ago those sets would not have been released if there was a color
problem.  Lego would have ate the costs and corrected it.

I think this is post you're referring to (and it does include a link to "Journal
Inquirer"): http://news.lugnet.com/mediawatch/?n=2115

From my understanding, the production of basic parts has indeed been outsourced
- i.e. those parts are made using machines that aren't owned & operated by LEGO
themselves.  Also, just because LEGO has outsourced production of parts doesn't
mean they don't have a say in quality control!

The article also states that LEGO will continue to produce Technic & Bionicle
parts, but even those may end up being produced by a third party in the future.
My guess is that they also continue to produce parts that require more complex
molds.

Another thing to consider is that the production of a SET consists of many steps
- producing the parts, gathering the parts to make up a set, packaging,
distribution, etc. and something could go wrong at any part of this process.

Yes, ten years ago, LEGO might have eaten the costs of any production errors,
but not now when they're trying to fight for profitablity in such a competitive
toy market...

-Bryan