 General / 53636
Re: Cafe' Corner (10182)--is anyone building this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 21:26:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Karl Paulsen wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Christopher Masi wrote:

Hmmm. I see your point, but I also think that when you finish your sentence, “You can buy that one directly from LEGO for $140”, it might make the public blanch. Sure, piece for piece, it is a great value, but that type of analysis is a bit too esoteric for the GP.

I think you underestimate the emotional extortion buying power of the average upper-middle class suburbanite child. ;-)

You may be right, but it is my experience displaying at model railroad shows here in the Midwest that the crowds tend to be predominantly middle class.

   Personally, I find the tack of creating a jaw-dropping layout (that the GP would never even hope be able to reproduce) as a source of inspiration to go out and buy a $10 LEGO set is the way to go. And, in fact, that is the same kind of experience I had when I saw Miniland LLC for the first time.

Inspiration really is one of the best functions of displays. I remember the special Lego displays that used to come to the malls in the late 80’s/early 90’s. I found them tremendously inspiring, even though I had only the smallest fraction of bricks required to build such a display.

   And this brings me to my main gripe with the Bionicle line. Sure, it has been a cash cow for TLG, but all of those $10 sets that go into the pile can’t build much else

I agree. I find the Bionicle sets largely pointless and not at all in line with the “LEGO concept” but whatever it takes to keep TLG afloat, and gives them the necessary capital to invest in AFOL inspired sets is a fair tradeoff for me. We can only hope that Exo-force takes hold in the same way as Bionicle.

Well, if my Bionicle-loving nephews are any indication, Exo-Force should do at least as well, because they love those even more!

JOHN