 General / 53617
Re: Cafe' Corner (10182)--is anyone building this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2007 03:54:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Crandall wrote:
   Hi, all--

In the midst of all this, my wife asked a a simple question: “Does anyone actually buy and build the Cafe Corner, or is everyone just buying it and storing it to sell later on?”

Most of the people that I know that are buying to Café Corner sets are buying them and building the sets. They have shown up in every train and town display since the release of the set. I can’t imagine anyone buying set as some kind of investment, since the number of sets that will be released just don’t make it feasible. This is not some limited edition or numbered set. As a matter of fact there are several others similar sets that are set to be released in the near future that will enhance the town theme. LEGO actually followed the suggestion that a lot of the AFOL were asking for in building a more advanced town sets that could be put together as a display. When the set is discontinued, this may become a collector set.

As a collector set, the Café Corner is great. The set has so many pars that are unique and only add to the building. Building the Café Corner can be accomplished without building the interior walls or substituting other colors and using the rare colors (dark blue) in other buildings. There are some collectors that have parted out the sets on BrickLink but that occurs with any good set. I have been able to buy some of the parts there without having to buy additional complete sets since I only needed a few parts to add onto the my two existing copies of the Café Corner.

A search of LUGNUT shows a number of variation and additions to the original design. I am building a couple of the alternate models, and some additions to the Café Corner for an up coming WAMALTC display. There was a concern raised by some that the Café Corner may start to dominate some of the train displays.