 General / 51254
Re: Lego and other brand trademarks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Shifflett wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jim Hughes wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Shifflett wrote:
Is there any sets where Lego has included references
to other trademarked names.
One example I can think is Jeep,
for the 711 Jeep CJ-5 set.

Are the ferries (Stena, Silja),
and Maersk, names copyright/trademarks?

Any others?

Keep on bricking,
dave

Dave;

If you want to include pre-building block lego the 1:43 cars/trucks
(Modelbiler) were all licensed from Chevolet. Packaging, etc even
include the Chevolet trademark.

Jim,
you answered the question I didn't ask, but meant to.

Which trademarks are actually acknowledged on the Lego
packaging, instructions, catalogs, etc?

I don't think I've seen Shell, Esso, or any of the 1:87
car manufacturers credited with a trademark statement.

I know Jeep was on the 711 instructions, and Chevy as you mentioned,
but what other older ones were?

I know the recent Harry Potter, Star Wars, (duh I own most of these)
all include trademark acknowledgements.

I guess I am really asking about the older (50's - 70's) sets?

dave

Good point Dave,  I have never seen any acknowledgement of trademarks on any of
the old 50's-70's Esso or Shell items.  Ditto for the 1:87 cars/trucks.  No box
or brochures (that came with these items) had acknowledgements either.

On the 1:87 cars/trucks from 1955-61 there is not even an acknowledgement on the
cars/trucks themselves that they are a "Bedford" or "VW" truck or car.  Only
with the advent of the #262-#268 Lego cars (in clear plastic garages) starting
in the fall of 1961 (although some came later) did TLG start writing "Mercedes"
or "Ford" or "Karmann", etc, as well as the model type.  But there was never the
little "R" for regestered trademark.

Very Interesting!

Gary Istok