 General / 50052
Re: www.legoideas.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:51:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:

2) Offer the tubs themselves as an actual SKU. Yes, sell them empty. Sell people empty plastic storage tubs. Sound crazy? The folks at Tupperware don’t think so.

This already exists - there’s a yellow tub that is sold empty at LEGO stores and I believe at LLCA too.

Too bad they aren’t available via Shop At Home, unless I’ve missed seeing them there? I’ve never been to an official company store or LLCA, so I guess I’ve never been exposed to these. Hey, now I don’t feel like it was such a silly idea after all. :)

   IIRC they were lampooned on LUGNET (“$X.XX for an empty tub? What are they, nuts?”).

Bionicles were also lampooned on LUGNET and we know they didn’t sell at all. ;)

But in all seriousness... what if the price (per piece) of bulk bricks sold in cardboard were even a fraction less than that when sold with a mostly empty tub? Then, you buy as many bricks as you want and only buy new/empty tubs as you need them to expand your storage. I’m not just thinking of adult builders here, but also kids with lots of bulk bricks and equal desires for good storage solutions.

   Personally I like the big tubs with the studs, just from a kitsch standpoint. I know someone (who’s got a pretty big collection) who actually throws them away after he takes the bricks out. But then again, he doesn’t sort either..

I think helping your customer sort the product you’re already selling them is just another way of thinking about making some money. Just my thought.

Best regards,
Allan B.
The LEGO Builder’s Guide