 General / 49816
49815  |  49817
Subject:
Just build.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:39:10 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hey everybody,

Just thought I'd add my two cents to all the chatter going on around here!

JUST BUILD!!!

Since when did Lugnet become so not fun anymore? When I found this website many
years ago, I thought it was one of the greatest things I've seen on the
internet. It was a place to check out and admire beautiful creations that other
Lego fans have built. Look up old instructions to re-construct sets from my
childhood. And above all else, a place to discuss what we all love, building
with Lego bricks!

But as of the last year or so, it has turned into a place to whine and cry about
every little thing the Lego company does or doesn't do. My advice is to go to
your collection of bricks, dump out a tub and just PLAY. Don't try to make the
biggest, best anything, just freeform play like you did when you were a kid.
Listen to the sound of the rustle of the bricks as you dig for a pacticular
piece. Enjoy the moment. THAT is what Lugnet is about.

I am not trying to tell people what they can or cannot say here, but try to
remember what it is about the bricks that gave you such pleasure in the first
place. It shouldn't be so difficult to enjoy a hobby that means so much to so
many!

Sure the Lego Company may not always do things you agree with, but until you are
on the board of directors, there is NOTHING you can do about it! Decisions will
be made with or without our approval. Colors will change, new pieces will come
about, old ones will dissapear. But there will always be Lego bricks to play
with, and as long as there will be, I will continue to play with them. And even
though a lot of people here may say otherwise, I suspect they will too.

Even during the golden age of Lego (mid 80's to early 90's to many) I didn't
like all of the sets that were on the shelf of my local Toys'R'Us. I simply
didn't buy them, but bought the ones I did like. Same goes for today. If you
absolutely hate something that Lego has released, don't buy it. Don't groan
about the end of an era. I ve been reading about the demise of Lego over and
over again, but the Lego Company is still here, still producing sets. They have
survived Juniorization, Jack Stone, Explore, and any other thing you or I might
find less than what we have come to expect. But look at the bright spots!
Incredible Star Wars sets we could of only dreamed of as kids! The designer
series, with pieces and colors to fuel the imagination of any kid, or kid at
heart! Legends, My Own Creations, and any number of great things Lego Direct has
come up with for us! Enjoy what works, and ignore what doesn't! I have
incredible faith in this company to survive whatever the market throws at it.
There are enough people who dig what they do to keep it going for many more
years, and I will be in the toy stores anticipating what they do next!

So, in conclusion, be passionate about your hobby. You all obviously care enough
about it to be involved, but keep things in perspective. This is a toy, not
nescessarilly for kids or adults, but a toy none the less. So go and build, and
remember what it is about these bricks that makes you care so much in the first
place.

Bill Vollbrecht

Lgoe fan since 1974 and will be until my fingers are to old to snap 'em together
anymore (guess I will switch back to Duplo then!)