 General / 49817
Re: Maersk and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:48:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
I was going to post this with the debate on the 10152 sets in Maersk blue
instead of dark blue, but I didn't want to get involved.

Forbes Magazine says that in Denmark there are only 2 billionaire (milliarden)
families.  The one that owns Lego and the one that owns Maersk.

IMHO, I would say that Maersk blue Lego parts/sets will be produced in the
future at Maersk's request, anytime they want it.

(Sending this to lugnet.color)

Gary Istok

Yes that is true.

I too find it hard to believe that Lego wouldn't make sets for Maersk anytime
they wanted it, if they can earn a profit from it.

btw, there are some similarities between Maersk and Lego.

Both companies were founded early in the last century, they were both founded
somewhat in the outskirts of the country and both companies have been run by the
family of the founders and both families have kept control over the companies by
personal ownership and by ownership of family foundations and both founder's
grandsons are the latest generations to have been in charge. Both companies are
normally considered "conservative" in their thinking towards issues like quality
standards and the way of doing things.

I think one of the first times these company's paths crossed each other, was
when Lego took a leading role in the development of Billund Airport from the
small airfield, that was there before. Maersk Air was (and still is) one of the
operators that stood behind this development alongside with Sterling Airways,
which also had some promotional sets produced in the seventies.

Sterling Airways btw was at that time a company that mostly flew to destinations
in southern Europe chartered by the Tjaereborg company which was a travel agency
founded and led from the small town of Tjaereborg, which btw is not far from
Billund.

Martin Bruun