 General / 49609
Re: How does the voting at the Lego Factory Competition work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:01:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Luca Giannitti wrote:

   And the last thing about the competition. I thought the rule was to fit into 16x16 studs, but model #2 in senior section clearly violates that. I think I’d need some clarification.

This is a good question. I assume from the delays and timing of the voting that someone is handling the process by hand. I would think, if that’s the case, that they would weed out the ineligible entries beforehand.

Man, I’m really whining here. Maybe I’m taking this too seriously, but I would expect Lego to lay down some rules and actually enforce them if the results of the contest affect the sales of future sets.

I’ve submitted some creations for this week contest, I’ve sent them my signed letter for the partecipation BUT:

1. after rather 10 days my creations are still pending

This seems odd. Are you sure it’s been that long? I know anything accepted after Sunday goes into next week’s competition, and the FAQ page says it takes up to four days to moderate entries. I’d bet on your submissions showing up on next week’s board.

   2. all my creations (there were a couple of normal buildings) were 16x16 studs (as the rules say)... did I make something wrong? I suppose my creations are TOO SMALL because I see a lot (I say A LOT... not 1 or 2!!!!) of creations that are very larger than 16x16 (even one of them has the most numbers of votes!!!). Are the Lego judges blind or have they some problems with the counting?????????

They obviously are making no attempt to enforce this rule, as the leading entry you noted shows. This is particularly annoying as it’s one of the primary reasons for disqualification they list in the same FAQ answer I linked to above.

   Moreover many of those BIG creations are made by AFOLs (or something similar) older than 12 yr. If a 6yr or 8yr child submits a creation that is not *as the rules say*, I could understand... but those mistakes should not be allowed for the other participants!

I agree. I’m not sure how they’re going to handle this issue, as the current senior-category leader is pretty much a guaranteed win at this point and is, as you said, clearly breaking the size rule.

   I thought, this idea was very good... but now it seems more similar to a joke!

Please, LEGO, take a look at this!!!!!!

Luca Giannitti *** AFOL that will no longer submit creations until the contest will be with serious rules and judges! ***

I don’t know that I’d take it that far, but I agree with your sentiments. I feel like I’ve done nothing but complain about this contest, when in actuality I’m having a lot of fun playing around in the program and looking forward to the upoming competitions. And really, as long as it’s fun to do and my skin is thick enough to withstand a little (OK, a lot) of annoyance with the system, I’m going to keep entering models and encouraging others to do the same. After all, you never know what (or who) those crazy voters will pick next, no? :P

-jeremiah-