 General / 49128
Re: How do you clean a bunch of lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:51:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom Duggan wrote:
I usually just take what I get at Yard sales, put them in a pillow case, tie off
the end, and throw them in the washing machine....so far I have'nt had any
problems with damaging the peices or anything...just use regular clothes
detergent and warm water....just make sure you don't put them in the dryer.

I came up with a way that gets a higher concentration of detergent and doesn't
need so much bashing together.

Put them in a large zip-lock bag with loads of washing-up liguid, add enough
warm water to cover them, then squeeze out the air and seal the bag.  You can
let them soak for a while (dunk the bag in more hot water to keep it warm), or
slosh them round.  The point is that keeping the bag airtight stops a mountain
of foam forming.  Then you need to rinse the soap off with cold water.

It does get them really clean, but still won't restore a brand-new shine to old
bricks.

The only thing that'll do that is either applying a shiny coating (like car wax)
or using something abrasive to take off the surface layer of plastic.  Neither
is ideal unless it's on a permanent, glued model, as both will affect how the
bricks interlock.

Legoland models are routinely blasted with plastic beads to strip off the dulled
surface, then repaired (it's a harsh process!) and lacquered.

Jason Railton